- fighter (n.)
- Old English feohtere; agent noun from fight (v.). Compare Dutch vechter, German Fechter. Old English also had feohtling in this sense. Meaning "fast military airplane used for combat" is from 1917.
- 1. Douglas was a 29-year-old journeyman fighter, erratic in his previous fights.
- 2. Workers at the plant build the F-16 jet fighter.
- 3. The fighter believes he can still regain some of his old magic.
- 4. Five leading fighter pilots have been captured and paraded before the media.
- 5. He is something of a fighter, and will certainly want to win.